Hello my Lovelies, I’m back again with another blog post. This time slightly different from my usual beauty and lifestyle posts. However, I think that the topic of this post is super important and everyone should give self care a go.
I hope you’ve all been doing well, I’ve come down with a massive cold so I’m led in bed all day binge watching Friends on Netflix. I have been practicing self care for around 2 months now and I can honestly say it’s the best thing I’ve done. Whether you’re in a good place or a bad place you will benefit from reading this.
Practicing self care is something that I don’t think many people really know how to do. I definitely didn’t know how to do it until a few months ago. There are so many benefits from self care you wouldn’t even realise. Self care has proven to improve your immune system, mental health, help you be more productive as well as the obvious making you feel better.
So you might be wondering how do you practice self care?
- Practice gratitude – write down 5 things that you’re appreciative for before you go to sleep. It could be thankful for having a roof over your head or grateful for something your friend did for you that day. It’s all about focusing your mind on the positives in life and not focusing all your time on the negatives.
- Meditate – this is a great one to start off with as its super easy. What could be more easy than sitting down and meditating? There are loads of apps out there that will guide you through mediation and make it a really enjoyable experience. My favourite app for meditation would be Calm which is available on the app store if you have an iPhone.
- Get Outside – sometimes there’s nothing more relaxing than getting outside and going for a walk. Clear your mind, take in the fresh air and take in the nature that surrounds you. Treat it as a mind detox, this is great even if you’re not in a bad mood at all.
- Do something you love – one of my favourite things to do is take a bath. Chuck in a Lush bath bomb, lots of bubbles and have my iPad on the side watching something on Netflix. Take some time to yourself and relax. Focus on yourself, even if it is only for 15 minutes in the bath
- Exercise – a great way to relax your body is yoga. It’s light and builds up muscle in your body as well. It’s not overpowering like maybe running on a treadmill would be or deadlifting 80KG in the gym. It’s a great way to relax your mind and body.
- Let your feelings out – don’t be afraid to talk to someone about how you feel. It could be, your mum, a friend even a counsellor. Talking about how you feel to someone doesn’t make you weak. Don’t bottle up your feelings.
- Practice breathing exercises – there are many apps that you can get on your phone that give you breathing exercises. It can reduce your heart rate when you are stressed or upset and get you back into a more rational mind. This is great everyday to help yourself get into regular self-care.
- Stress less – one major thing that someone who is extremely close to me has taught me is that you have to live in the present. There’s no point worrying about how you’re going to feel in the future or what’s going to happen in the future because the truth is, no one knows. What’s the point in stressing yourself out about the unknown?
- Eat healthy – detox your body, you will feel benefits physically as well as mentally which is super important for everyone to have a happy and healthy life.
- Put yourself first – you can’t help anyone if you don’t help yourself first. Stop caring about trying to please everyone else, stop worrying about what other people think about you because at the end of the day you are the most important person in your life.
“You can’t pour from an empty cup. Focus on yourself first.”
I hope everyone reading this takes into consideration starting to practice self care because it is so so important and it has helped me so much through some rough patches I’ve been going through.
Until next time,